Thursday, April 7, 2011

smashy, smashy

Look, I'm not saying I'm actually omniscient. But there is a degree of knowledge that you partake in when you're part of all of this "social media" (fuck that term leaves a dirty taste in my mouth). It can make you feel like you're surveying the world from your lair. But this information overload is sometimes deafening. Alex, Anth and I were talking about this a while ago, Facebook/Twitter/etc., to an extent it's for those of us who like stalking. But not stalking stalking. Just... can't stop our curiosity. (We watched too much James Bond growing up) And although it doesn't literally kill the cat, it can wear on someone.
I partially use it as an escape, but it is also a compulsion. I hate the idea of not having cleared my cache in google reader. Lately I'm trying to leave it alone, or not go through everything, to test myself, maybe. And then I realize, the reason that I read so much...escape. It's all just a distraction, but from what?
So I went and met with someone on Tuesday morning, and in our hour or so together, he helped me understand the reasons behind the formation of the thought patterns in my brain. Not fully mind you, but it was a start.
It makes me want to run away to somewhere where there is no internet, and where I can't keep tabs on things.
But the idea of not keeping up with my daily trickle of information terrifies me.
Because:
The idea of being irrelevant terrifies me.

Hm, progress.

1 comment:

CoreyHaim8myDog said...

The 13th century is where you need to be.