Saturday, October 24, 2009

moving


So in a week it will be time to move, again. This has been somewhat thematic to my life. A lot of people really hate moving. I don't mind it, but this is really the first time I've been moving by myself, as in not with family accompanying me, or Niall. Moving after the breakup doesn't count, because I was moving back into my mother's house. So this is effectually the first time I'm moving as an adult, and for myself. When I think about it, I don't know how many times I've been hustled and bustled into a new household. Let me sit back and count. Well the first place I ever lived was my grandparent's house that my mom grew up in. Then my mom and I moved into our own apartment (a space from which some of my best memories come from, I'll tell the story of how this apartment was gouged away from me another time). My mom then decided to move to Canada to be with Darth Vader and I moved back in with my grandparents who ended up swapping apartments with some other couple. So that's three times, and I'm only 5 - 6 years old so far. Then my mom gets married and has my brother and finally my immigration papers are figured out, so I move to Canada in 1993. That's 4. In 2000 we move into a house (the one I'm currently in) so that's 5. I'm 18, I meet Niall, he has his own place - I spend all my time there and my clothing starts piling up when a few weeks in he makes space and buys me a toothbrush, 3 months in he gives me a key, 8 months later we're playing around with Rugbey on the bed and he laughs and tells me I live with him, 6. A year later our landlord Tabby decides she wants to reclaim the space in the house so we find a new apartment in Parkdale, 7. We live on Sorauren for 8 months and we miss the East End of Toronto, we find the perfect place on Hiltz, 8. A year later the house gets sold and the new tenants again want to repossess the space, we decide to move in with Skye since he can't live with his mom anymore, 9. Niall becomes a jerk, finds someone he wants to be with more than me after a horrible and violent year, I find a letter from him to the girl a week after we break up, I call my mom and tell her to bring boxes and bags, 10. It's been a year since I came home, I've recuperated, I need to be closer to school, the phone rings here all the time, I hate Darth Vader, I'm moving out, 11.
This will be the eleventh time I'm moving. I'm only 24. Crazy.

It's daunting as much as it is exciting. I know Bob will be a great roommate, and I love my individual space that I'm going to be occupying. The fact that it will be a 15-20 minute walk to school is gravy. So it's almost literally a week from the day and I have not started packing. I think I'm going to order boxes. I also have many shoeboxes to use. I have realized, that like a real female, I have a lot of shoes. However they happen to be sneakers. Heh. Most of them are Onitsuka Tigers from way back when that I just don't have the heart to throw out, with some Puma's mixed in, and the crazy purple/orange Nike's.
But this is not a post about sneakers, it's about moving, and my shoe boxes and what I shall end up putting in them. Tomorrow I will venture out to Curry's to get supplies for my packing. I'll read The Big Sleep on the bus/subway to get ready for the passage essay on Monday. Then I'll read the past two weeks readings for Galbraith's Poetry from the 15-1600's class so he can fill me in on what we discussed while I was gone and I can ask questions if I have any. At Curry's I'll pick up newsprint to wrap delicate objects in and get a Chinese Marker to mark the boxes. I think I'm going to be incredibly organized this time - unlike moving out of Niall and I's apartment which was, well... schizophrenic. So - I have all these shoe boxes full of old pay stubs from when I was a retail manager (how the hell did I do 40 hours a week at two jobs, go to school full time, have time for Niall, and still manage to play a decent amount of rock band with Skye?). There's also bank statements, and for some reason I happen to have Niall's old pay stubs and bank statements too. I think tomorrow when I get back from Curry's I'll just shove all those docs into the outside fireplace thing and burn them all - I mean, I could recycle them, but there's no shredder at this house, maybe this way I can make s'mores.

As much stuff as I have to move - most of which = books - there are also a lot of things I need. I need a bed. And bedding. And I really want to invest in a chef's knife. I think I'm going to need some pots and pans too. And I have to figure this out all in a week. I'm a master procrastinator. Well....maybe just the bed is something I should get on pronto. Somebody needs to take me to ikea.

No comments: