Wednesday, December 23, 2009

birthdays

Talking to a friend today - it is her birthday and she mentioned she felt "meh". I sympathize. I've not had any good birthdays really. There has been a small succession of slight failures on each one's part. So it hit me - the obvious: we're conditioned to think that birthdays are a big deal. That something amazing will happen just because our satellite has gone another revolution around the sun. The expectation of a giant internal clock striking twelve and suddenly feeling older, wiser, something - anything. Bullshit. It means nothing.

The real days of growth are the ones where we overcome hurdles and learn new things. This is when we age, grow wiser, etc. I want to say so many things in addition to that. But they're all really personal and ridiculous. Also it's early days of some of my own realizations yet and I think I'll ruminate on them some more before committing them to cyberspace.

No comments: