Wednesday, December 2, 2009

you were my favourite moment of our dead century

I don't think I've written about this yet. A few weeks ago I went to see my mom at her office (which, incidentally, is around the corner from my apartment). I forget why I was there - I think I was picking something up, or just hanging out and getting food at the hospital food court. I do that every now and again - even though the food court kind of sucks, seriously, I always get an assorted sub and call it a day. Anyway my mom and I were talking and out of nowhere she asks "Remember Beata?",
me: "No?"
Mom: "The lady who took you to the High Tatra's when you were a kid?"
me: "Oh Teta Bea" (pronounced beh ah)
Mom: "Yeah! She emailed me the other day and..."
me: (cutting in) "I don't want to know! If another person is dying of cancer I'm gonna go nuts!"
Mom: "Nobody's dying, relax, actually she emailed me because your sister (!) wanted to know if she could have your email address and email you?"
me: "Uh, you mean....uh....my dad's ...other daughter?"
Mom: "Yeah, the older one, Reka (my middle name), I think she's 31."
me: "Oh, oh....oh...ye-es"
Mom: "Okay, I'll email her back."

Did I mention this was a few weeks ago? I waited until that night to tell Karen as we had a get together at Red Room. I didn't want to get my hopes up. I've never met my dad and I figured this was a good way to break the ice, if any. I wondered if the girl spoke English, or Slovak, because I sure as heck don't speak or read Hungarian. But I did get my hopes up. How could I not after all this time. I worry that I may have accidentally deleted an email that came into my spam filter. I worry that my mom didn't give Bea the email address. Most of all I worry that she changed her mind, and doesn't want to get in contact with me. I somewhat decided not to worry about that part of my life a long time ago - to put it away awhile. And then it got all stirred up. Now I think about it more, and I sit. And I wait.

No comments: