Thursday, March 4, 2010

Don Draper saves the day

I don't think it's ridiculous to assume that we're looking for other planets because.....this one will.....end... - Don Draper

My day today was somewhat farcical. I woke up and decided not to bother with class, so I slept for a while and made a grilled cheese sandwich. Then I went to work - I was half an hour late and it all went downhill from there. Nausea? Check. Spilling boiling wonton soup on my left hand? Check. Matthew spilling water all over my phone? Check. Staying really late when I'm tired? Check!

So now I'm at home and all I really want to do is watch mindless or maybe even mindful television but I've got this clunker of a 6-8 page Shakespeare essay that was due Wednesday and I want nothing to do with it. Nothing. My mind keeps wandering - I can't seem to decide what I want to do. Time seems to slow down when I'm with other people but when I'm alone it goes too fast. I can't seem to stop and enjoy the air. Can you believe there's only a month of school left? I've got 3 assignments after this one and I have no idea how I'm going to cope with it. Not to mention I've burned through a stack of money like it's going out of style.
What am I doing? Mostly living in la-la land, reading comic books and James Ellroy, taking baths and that other thing grownup people do. You know which one. Yeah that one. Obtuse enough for you?
I am constantly in a state of having to get my shit together. On the one hand it's pretty good, I've got a hold of it, but on the school front - I just don't want to deal... and it just gets worse every year.
Here's to the summer school 4th year George Orwell seminar - you are my saving grace (hopefully).

Incidentally the second most lulling thing in my world at the moment is listening to Draper's voice.
The first one would be the boy, or the boy bearing cupcakes. Om nom nom.

No comments: