Wednesday, March 17, 2010

If I'm gonna die, I want to die comfortable.

Rarely am I completely and utterly blown away by a film like I was tonight. I finally watched the Hurt Locker. I remember wanting to see it around the time District 9 came out and never getting around to it. I feel like I can't even string together a coherent sentence about it to capture exactly how I feel. It is akin to falling in love. Being completely sucked into something and really revelling in the way it makes you tingle from head to toe. My brain was working completely overtime while watching this movie. It's far from being pretty - but the cinematography was beautiful. I guess everybody takes away what they can from what they see and there are a million sociological and psychological reasons as to why we react and how we react to things but...it just struck something in me. I told my roommate that I felt as though I had eaten a giant meal and had to work on digesting it. So satisfying.

And I'm not even saying anything about the actual plot of it. Which is fine because I don't want to give away the ending or ...whatever. There were so many things running through my head as I watched it - mostly about sappers, (which by the way, 6 degrees of my mind - the sapper character in The English Patient and the crossover with Ralph Fiennes being in the movie adaptation and then in this) about those crazy suits they wear when they're disarming the bombs in terms of logistics of the suit etc. What kind of state of mind the main character was in - why he was the way he was - the idea of psychological/emotional compartmentalization and whether the development of it is more of a nature or nurture question. I hope I love it just as much when I watch it the second time.

No comments: