Thursday, March 26, 2009

red wheelbarrow

I'm in one of my classes right now and am listening to prof speak. I love his oratory style. The cadence of his speech is spellbinding. One of the things I cannot abide by is when professors pause in their speech and say "um" or are just new and are bad at something akin to public speaking. It completely throws me and takes me out of the context of what's going on. Prof doesn't have this problem. Maybe it's because he's a poet. I just hope he's lecturing next year so I can take some of his courses. A dilemma I face is the substance that lacks in courses. For example, I had professor Johnstone last year for the Science Fiction half course. He was a nice enough professor but he would just say the same thing over and over. Obviously he was "new". This year when I got him for "the Novel" I tried to tough it out but I ended up dropping the course. The sad thing is that it actually influences the way I do in classes. But really I just wanted to extoll the virtues of this excellent prof. We briefly spoke of how he was "sick in bed" all last week. And while he was "sick in bed" all last week he "didn't" go to Costa Rica. What a character. I hope he holds more poetry readings soon. I'm very very interested in the end of Cosmographia.

In other news I dropped a bombshell on my poor mother last night after another intense discussion. Tonight I'll spend the night at Karen's and hopefully get some work done. Woke up and felt like I was hit with a semi. Am currently experiencing hunger pangs and comfort food looks like a cheeseburger. Back to class though. Apparently if we could write just one line as fantastic as "we live in an old chaos of the sun" we could be happy with ourselves as poets. I kind of get this. We're comparing William Carlos Williams and Wallace Stevens. I think I prefer Williams because he's more chaotic with the way he frames his poems. He also actually paints a picture in my mind - I can imagine the thought process behind his choices. Stevens is more linear but instead of necessarily having a complete picture he just has sort of blissed out and amazing word combinations that just hit me in the best places. Like "ambiguous undulations", I love the way these words just kind of work off of each other, go hand in hand.

No comments: