Monday, November 16, 2009

why I like Kanye, and you should too

I have said recently (post the T-Swizzle debacle) that he's like a jester in my court of hilarity. I defended him - because even though what he did to Swift was not cool, he at least had the guts to go out in a public forum and say what he really felt, and I respect that. So you'd think that the next thing I would talk about is his music, but no, I want to discuss something that, in my opinion, may be a little bit more important (in terms of Kanye).

The man knows how to dress. Sartorially - he is genial. In an industry where men wore baggy pants with their boxers showing, nightie type XXXXXXXL t-shirts, egregious bling, and Timberland booties, Kanye came out with tight pants, fitted shirts, sweaters and blazers, sometimes dress shoes, or interesting sneakers, and most of all he was, and is not afraid of bright colours. It also helps that he's, well, hot. So where am I going with this you ask? Well - Kanye sells millions of records, and along with that, he sells image. And thanks to his look - I don't have to be revolted by men in the streets trying to look like "rappers" anymore. Urban youth are dressing more and more like Kanye every day, straight leg jeans, leather bomber jackets, colourful sneakers, less bling - and it's joyous. The men's silhouette is visible again! Damn it's sexy.

Teenagers don't look like little hoodlums anymore! I attribute this to Kanye - I'm sure it was in the works before him - with subtle shifts in the zeitgeist, more interest in independent label bands, fashion going back to retro 80's looks, etc etc. Kanye came along at the right time and was able to harness these factors and translate them into a fractional part of his success.

So he's a bit full of himself - I would be too if I were him. Additionally - the guy likes Daft Punk, how cool is that?
Anyway - that's all I can think of right now, but it's enough - in my eyes. That and I like the vulnerability he showed in 808's and Heartbreaks, but that's another story.

No comments: