Sunday, April 5, 2009

I'm eccentric. Deal with it.

The Tibor character asked me if I was insane because I was moving boxes out of the garage a few minutes ago. Y'know - first he complains I've left the boxes in the garage too long (since December) and then when I physically start moving them he complains that it's too late at night. What a maroon. See and now he's gone and spoilt the theme of the night for me. I find it more amusing than anything anyhow. So I have been opening these boxes - I think I've waited this long from a mixture of laziness and my inability to deal with the fact that I live here now - I find it quite clever of myself to have packed all the Russian authors in one box - heh, how pretentious.

I think I did this with the express hope that I would laugh at myself when I finally got to putting things away. I must tap my former self on the back for this, looking forward to try to make myself happy - even if only subconsciously. I found an old love letter/poem that I typed up on the antique typewriter I brought the bastard for his birthday from Bratislava. It weighed fifty five and three eights of my love and I carted it all the way from Europe and didn't take it with me when I moved. Because I'm a good person...or something. But I stole the strobe light.

So..this thing I have been thinking about for the past day or two. Mash and I went to see Andrew Bird at the Queen Elizabeth theater down by the Beemo field. It was terribly rainy and annoying to get there. But was it ever worth it. Andrew Bird is one of those people that if you knew them in real life and wasn't a musician etc., you would probably really hate them because of how effortlessly brilliant and amazing they were. This is me just guessing though. Obviously he has had to work really hard to get where he is. Studying classical music and violin in the Suzuki method (which is somewhat controversial) since the age of four - he's had quite a bit of practice. Thirty one years later he's this magical/folksy/avant garde violinist and vocalist. Amazing live, proficient in many stringed instruments.... The thing I love most about him is that he can create a wall of sound with just his violin looped over and over, and did I mention that one of his uncanny abilities is his whistle? Not *a* whistle, *he* whistles. All in all the rain and wind and annoying people talking on the streetcar were absolutely worth the nearly two hour performance that Mash and I experienced. He also had great rapport with the audience, some friendly heckling really tickled him. What I most noticed was how effortless everything he did seemed. This probably means it's anything but easy, however the way he gestured and seemed to think of things off the top of his head - this man is obviously incredibly intelligent (oh come now, he has a song named Scythian Empires, and it's about how he started doodling in class when he was in grade eight and how he became obsessed with the Scythians). Oh, he also likes to sing about biology and physics and the game "Operation". Needless to say his lyrics are witty and it was an enjoyable show.

No comments: