Thursday, April 23, 2009

a nervous tick motion of the head....to the left

Sometimes I really catch myself off guard with my level of immaturity. I had kind of a strange day today. Exam early in the morning after a night spent listening to a friend of mine lambaste me about my attachment to my relationship with N. Admittedly it was more interesting than import substitution industrialization. Possibly my level of maturity is directly correlated to the amount of sleep I get. I made a somewhat stupid comment on Stuart's facebook page about laughing at a student who got a bad mark on an essay - apparently he made her cry. I don't know, I guess it's just my inner asshole rearing her head.
Maybe it's because I myself got a really shitty mark on our last essay too. Been thinking about it a slight bit. Realizing that sometimes it's a better idea NOT to take essay advice from S. I took it for the politics essay too, and in retrospect every time he gives me essay advice I do badly - if anything it is a lesson to stick to my gut instinct when it comes to my own writing. Not that I would blame S at all. I had wanted to do additional research for the Che essay, but he kept telling me that Stuart said that apparently the material we already had was enough and that if I did more research I would get bogged down by other materials, and I went against my better judgement - possibly aided by the fact that a) I'm lazy b) I am having an incredibly hard time focusing lately. Lesson learned - I just still find it incredible that somebody would cry over a freaking mark - as if this had any bearing on who you are as a person. If anything it teaches you to do better next time. Will you remember it 10 years down the line when you're a slave to your children's diapers, etc? No - and this is why I reacted. I mean, Stuart can be very intimidating - I remember asking for an extension, and he replied "No" in a very stern voice, and I felt my cheeks grow red and was absolutely mortified and on the verge of tears. Then I sucked it up and realized that I should just get on with it already. It's not personal. Oh experience.

2 comments:

fusangite said...

That's pretty funny. Of course if EITHER of you had attended lecture, you might have heard my 10-minute speech about how it was absolutely crucial to do outside research for a primary document analysis.

Rella said...

that whole lecture/doing well thing, you think they have something in common? maybe? maybe?
hehehe