Wednesday, April 15, 2009

now get in the ground

Here laid to rest is our love ever longed....
Told K it was over today, she was happy for me. It's been long enough, you're being put in the ground for good, I hope. Something that was coincidentally celebrated with old man drinks and cake with fondant.

Been thinking about this epic epicry Adrian and I are embarking on in May at the Opera House. So many experiences there. Some of the best ones too. Seeing A Perfect Circle with Pigmy Love Circus, catching Danny Carey's drumstick. Danny Carey, other than Thomas Pridgen is the most impressively proficient drummer in the world. Possibly one of the best in history, other than Buddy Rich who was a Jazz legend. I just remember catching the drumstick and being completely ecstatic, then later on he came outside and was about seven feet tall and smelled really nice. It was surreal, here on a street in Toronto was the drummer from a band that has set the bar (for me) in excellence, consistency, creativity, and whatever else one would equate with being absolutely priceless. Seeing Tool for the first time in my life was completely indescribable, but I digress. My topic was the Opera House. This is also where I saw the band Ours, from New Jersey. I don't think they exist any more but their lead singer Jimmy Gnecco is surely doing solo work. His voice is incredibly strong and Jeff Buckley-ish but with its own inherent wonder.
Both of these concerts I went to with Karis - the Ours one was funny because I met this guy Tom who I completely didn't know did not like girls, but it was fun - he and this girl Lesia were from Brampton or something and he had this huge bag of fortune cookies and we just destroyed it - it was a great show and Jimmy Gnecco was about six inches away from my face. This is what I love about Toronto, you meet friendly people everywhere, and about the Opera House, it's completely intimate. At one point I was literally inches from Maynard James Keenan and James Iha, how amazing is that? Needless to say this Mastodon concert is something I will be looking forward to. Then there's Porcupine Tree in September, ah old British guys. Reminds me of when I went to see King Crimson at Massey Hall by myself.
Hm, I see a pattern emerging here - a progressive rock pattern.

Continuing in the vein of awesome I'm trying to figure out this trip I will be taking soon. I've hammered down what I should take and am just waiting for a big cheque to come in the mail so I can book my ticket but I have to talk to J first. The bugger decided to take off to Stockholm for Easter, are you back yet? (Did I just break the fourth wall!?) I think instead of taking the train everywhere I will try to hit up unkie Peter for a friends and family pass to Sky Europe. I have to be back before the parents want to go on vacation which means possibly excising Switzerland from the trip - but that's okay, maybe I'll do it next year before Russia. Sleep beckons, and I have to pick up my bicycle tomorrow, excellent.

No comments: