Thursday, July 2, 2009

oblivion

One of my incredibly close friends names is Skye. Hippy parents. The reason I say this is because I found it strange that the new Mastodon album was named "Crack the Skye". I figured there was some other meaning to it.
I felt like I needed to listen to semi heavy music while I wrote up my experience of the night, so I started listening to it - especially "Oblivion".

What always strikes me about it is Brent Hinds' voice, I really enjoy the blending of it and the other guys when they sing together. So I'm thinking about this peripherally while ranting and raving and decide to do a google image search because I really really like his face tattoo and want to know the story behind it. Stumble onto an interview with Inked. So as it turns out, drummer Brann Dailor had a sister, named Skye, who committed suicide - so Crack the Skye....huh. And then I think about the lyrics to Oblivion and because of this new knowledge they have taken on an enhanced meaning. I listen to the melody again - and it is breaking my heart into pieces.

No comments: